How to Manage Stress During Finals

How to Manage Stress During Finals
Flickr

It’s finals season, a time when most students start getting stressed about deadlines for late work and turning in missing assignments and studying. Stress can manifest both physically and mentally, such as headaches, sleep problems, and anxiety, as well as affecting your memory and concentration. It’s important to cope with stress in healthy ways.

Exercising is one way to alleviate stress. According to Harvard Health, “Exercise reduces levels of the body’s stress hormones, such as adrenaline and cortisol. It also stimulates the production of endorphins, chemicals in the brain that are the body’s natural painkillers and mood elevators.” Going for a run, playing sports, or simply walking your dog can make a big difference in getting rid of stress.

Although it can be easy to prioritize working on a late assignment or studying, getting enough sleep is crucial, especially before big tests. Lack of sleep can lead to memory and concentration issues as well as inducing more stress on the body. The recommended amount of sleep for teenagers is 8-10 hours.

Hanging out with friends and family can impact your mood and stress levels dramatically. Doing something fun, like going to the movies, can take your mind off the upcoming tests and allow you to take a break from studying. Preparing for finals is important, but working too hard will negatively affect you and your work.

Finally, learning to recognize when you’re stressed and need to step away is one of the most important tools in managing stress. When you start to feel overworked, tired, or like you just need a few minutes to relax, take a step back. Putting yourself and your well-being first will positively impact the quality and efficiency of your work.