The Student News Site of Granada High School

The Pomegranate

The Pomegranate

The Pomegranate

Grabbing Life by the Horns

Club Spotlight: Science Olympiad

Club Spotlight: Science Olympiad

The Science Olympiad club is a new club here in Granada, but it specializes in teaching students to broaden their knowledge and explore the opportunities science can bring to them. Not only that but it is a great place for people who already love science to show their expertise and skills in the subject. The Science Olympiad club leaders this year are President Nick Katartia, Co-Vice President Veronica Jorgensen, Co-Vice President Isha Rajavel, Secretary Avery White, Treasurer Sophia Ramos, and Publicist Sejal Jassal. 

Nick Kataria (12), the president and founder of the Science Olympiad, is dedicated to doing science as he is also a team captain for the Physiology Anatomy group. There have been various Science clubs at Granada for years now but the Science Olympiad covers a variety of captivating topics that students can participate in. Science Olympiad researches many different kinds of science. Kataria says, “In Science Olympiad, we divide into groups based on subjects that we are very interested in. Some examples of things groups focus on are medicine, biology, mathematics, physics, ecology, and computer science.”

Sai Gayathri Penugonda (9) enjoys science-related activities and decided to join the Science Olympiad to display her skills. On Thursdays, Sai regularly attends the Science Olympiad to discover many topics. Sai loves a variety of topics and says, “The science topics that I’m interested in are ecology and microbe missions.”

Science in general is such a diverse subject with topics that can satisfy everyone. Being able to explore topics that interest students allows them to want to participate which is what Science Olympiad is for. Sai has goals for herself in this club and says, “I want to get better at these specific topics and further understand them.” Ultimately, this club has positively impacted Sai’s views on science and has expanded his knowledge of different topics.

Although the Science Olympiad is a new club, leaders hope to see it continue to thrive in the future. Isha Rajavel (12), Co-president of Science Olympiad hopes that the members of the club will keep it alive throughout the years saying, “Right now, we hope to prepare our club members to take part in Science Olympiad competitions. Hopefully, this club will continue in the future and help prospective students gain a deeper understanding of science in the world around us.”

The future of the Science Olympiad is affected by the members within it. President Nick Kataria agrees and states his “…Main goal for Science Olympiad is to allow fellow students a place to widen and grow their interests in science. I would also love to see our teams win competitions to advance to nationals and also watch new students take up leadership roles in this club at our school for years to come.”

Science Olympiad is a great place for students with an aspiration to compete in competitive competitions and enjoy and explore fun and curricular activities. The club offers many opportunities for members to grow as scientists, learn to solve problems, and participate in hands-on experiments. Students who want to deepen their passion for science and gain knowledge on a variety of different types of sciences should join the Science Olympiad.