The Student News Site of Granada High School

The Pomegranate

The Pomegranate

The Pomegranate

Grabbing Life by the Horns

PSAT: All Online This Year

PSAT: All Online This Year

As students continue to prepare for this year’s PSAT, a few things have changed over the years of this test. This year the PSAT will be fully online, with no paper and pencil, students who are participating in taking the online exam will have to have their Chromebooks set up in the correct format for testing. 

This development might not be as bad as some people think, Ms. Watson explains, “The digital PSAT is easier to take, shorter, has more time per question, and comes with a built-in calculator.” These factors can convince people that having the exam fully online won’t be as bad as they think. Junior, Kayla Clarin explains, “I feel like paper was more efficient for me and other students, cause some of them told  me that they liked it on paper more than online.” Having everything online would be a change that not many people want to face.

Some people like this change others don’t but let’s hear from Ms.Watson on what she wishes could have stayed the same about it, “The paper/pencil test was easier to coordinate and organize from my standpoint. There are a lot of components involved in getting the digital format set up on the Chromebooks.” Having moved the test from paper and pencil to completely online can be a big change for some students, for others they couldn’t care less. 

“This year has been a challenge because we are learning as we go but I think in future years, this will be a positive change,” says Ms.Watson. Though it can be challenging to adjust to this new system, Ms. Watson sees the bright side of things and thinks that in the future the testing on Chromebooks will be easier for students. Some agree like junior Laina Stifter shares, “I feel like its good for some people but also challenging for other people, I think its a good idea, I think it’s easier.” Others like Luka Cusimano say, “Honestly I don’t care.” Addison Ogle a junior shares her feelings saying, “I don’t like that because personally I like doing things on paper and I think online is harder for me to focus.” That is going to be a challenge for a lot of students, doing things on paper helps a lot of kids focus, plus you don’t have to wait for things to load.

Last year at Granada all sophomores were required to take the PSAT but this school year they changed it so now all juniors are required to take the PSAT. There’s a mix of students who don’t care to take it again and some who don’t want to take it again. Junior Lukas Cusimano says, “Honestly, not really it’s just another thing I got to do, it’s 2023 were going into 2024 you’ve gotta have a bigger mindset.” While some couldn’t care less about the exam some juniors think it is a waste of time.” I feel like since I already took it I shouldn’t be taking it again,” says Kayla Clarin a junior at Granada. While most feel like it is pointless to be taking the PSAT again some think that it will better prepare them for their future.

It seems like a majority of the Juniors who have already taken the PSAT last year are not going to be preparing for the upcoming test. Laina Stifter says, “No,” when asked if she was going to study for the test. Audrey Nguyen agrees with Laina and also responds, “No,” to the question. Kalya Clarin laughs at the question and replies with, “No.” Luka Cusimano responds with, “Come on we’re going in there blind-eyed.” So it seems as if many of the Juniors here at Granada will not be studying for this test. Are we surprised though? Many agree that it is just unnecessarily taking up their time.

Asking juniors if they felt more confident going in to take the PSAT again all of them answered yes. But Lukas Cuisimano answered with, “Honestly yes I feel like I’ve grown as an individual and become smarter so I think I can get a better grade.” The juniors feel more prepared, and they know what to expect and have a better understanding of how the test works.

Hopefully the test went smoothly for everyone and they didn’t have any trouble with getting online. Although moving the PSAT online this year is an adjustment, and everyone had to get used to it, this change is for the better and will make an efficient system for future years of testing.