The Student News Site of Granada High School

The Pomegranate

The Pomegranate

The Pomegranate

Grabbing Life by the Horns

Cross Country

The First Meet Of The Season
    Oliver Barnes
    Granada Girl’s Frosh-Soph Team

Fall is here, which means the return of fall sports, more specifically, cross-country. Freshmen arriving at Granada means our school will have more great runners. The cross country team traveled to Golden Gate Park in San Francisco on September 9. Their first meet of the season took place there. It was an extremely competitive race among all of the schools. The runners definitely gave the race their all, and we finished strongly. 

This race got our runners prepared for the next meet and the freshmen gained more experience. With freshmen in mention, Sade Bumpus (9) placed third with a fast time of 13:02. Bumpus was the fastest runner from Granada in race #4 for the girls.

Bumpus explained that her strategy for the race was to, “…stick to the person ahead of me.” Her team was placed fourth after adding up all runners’ scores. The team missed out on third place by only one point. Granada scored 107 in the race while the team in third place scored 106. 

The varsity boys team placed first. Eshaan Singh, a senior at Granada, placed fourth. Singh’s time was 14 minutes and 3 seconds. George Mikhael (11) placed 12th and Tanner Gray (12) placed 13th in the race. The whole team’s scores (4-11-12-14-17(30)(34) came to a total of 58.  

In the frosh 2 boys race, they placed fourth overall. This race was a major success for the squad, which consisted primarily of freshmen. Their total time combined was an hour and 4 minutes. Finn Morison (9) finished off in 10th place, with a time of 12 minutes and 3 seconds.

Morison explained how he pushed through the race, “During the race, I felt great and I would say that Bruno Mars really motivated me to keep going and to keep pushing through even when it was hard.” 

Our non-varsity team did great and we scored first with 21 points. Most runners placed extremely high in this race. We had 1st, 2nd, 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th, and 36th place. Joshua Durban (11) at Granada placed first and Nicolai Barron (10) placed close behind in 2nd. 

Cross-country’s next race is on September 16. This first meet was a huge success and we placed very high in all the races, especially for the varsity boy’s team and non varsity boys.