Upcoming Events at Granada

Now that school has started up again, school events are back on and there’s always something interesting happening throughout the year. Consider checking out some of the events listed below. There’s something for everyone!

The first week of October is homecoming week and is one of the most anticipated school events of the year. Each day a different grade puts on a skit up until Friday when the big homecoming football game happens and then Saturday is the homecoming dance. It’s always fun to get involved making your skit as over the top as possible, especially when you’re with friends. “…I like to do the skits and having that fun, cause I feel like you’re able to be kind of ridiculous… it’s really fun cause you just get to be goofy and have fun and I love dressing up,” Leadership student Rebecca Halfon (12) says. To students who were uncertain about getting involved or not, she says, “You can always be like hey, this isn’t my thing and just stop doing it, but you can’t really do that if you don’t try it first. And you like don’t wanna miss anything cause it’s high school”. 

Fall season has started up, meaning there are always lots of sports games to attend, to support our teams. This season there’s football, flag football, cross country, water polo, golf, tennis, and volleyball. One team to really look forward to is our water polo team. “Since our last two scrimmages, we’ve been just practicing, working on our swim techniques…Working together on communication”, says Ahana Deshpande (9), “…Our water polo games are pretty short so everything’s going so fast…It’s a chaotic game but it can be really exciting and it’s just fun to come and cheer on your friends”, she says.  Upcoming varsity girls’ home games are on the 6th at 5:30, and the 19th at 3:30. Upcoming varsity boys’ home games are on the 26th at 6:00 and the 28th at 6:00. On September 21 both teams will be playing at home so be sure to go and support your teams! You can find the fall sports schedule for Granada varsity games on Instagram.

Club rush is happening on Wednesday, September 6. This event is for all the clubs to advertise and get people to join their clubs. During lunch in the quad, there will be different stands to visit and learn more about the clubs offered here at Granada, including some new ones. “We’re just gonna let people who are interested know what the club is about and try to recruit and have sign-up sheets and general info about our club”, says Sara Willey (11), president of the TUPE club. “Clubs are a good way to meet new people and find people with similar interests, or discover a new interest.” There’s a club out there for almost anyone so come to the quad during lunch on Wednesday to see if there’s a club you want to join!

Back to school night is happening on September 13 and while this isn’t really a fun school event, it can be fun for your parents to meet your teachers and visit your school to see what your classes are about!

Highschool is a time to try new things and find what you like so be sure to go to these events and get involved with the school! You never know, you might find out you enjoy some of these things!