Matthew Perry Dies at 54

Macmillan Publishers
Matthew Perry’s Book

Matthew Perry, a beloved actor most known for his role as Chandler Bing in Friends, tragically passed away on Saturday, October 28.

Perry rose to fame in the popular TV sitcom Friends, co-starring with other well-known actors such as Jennifer Aniston and Courtney Cox. His character, Chandler Bing, quickly became a fan favorite. Almost 30 years after the show first aired, it is still one of the most known and loved TV shows.

Perry released a memoir about his life last year. He detailed his struggle with addiction, loneliness, and more. Perry also talked about the health scares he had faced over the years, including a burst colon resulting in a two-week coma. Very quickly, the book became popular. Fans of the actor were shocked at how deeply he was struggling behind the scenes and sent him love and support. However, a lot of people also showed concern for the actor’s health. Perry himself stated in his memoir how shocked he was that he was still alive after the toll his struggles had taken on his body. One review reads, “…Which can only leave you in the end so very concerned for his future, a future that he’s really drawn up for himself… Though only 53, who knows how much of that future he will actually see.”

Unfortunately, everyone’s worst fears came true over the weekend. On Saturday, October 28, just days before the one-year anniversary of his memoir being released, news broke that Perry had died at his home in L.A. Law enforcement confirmed his passing to the Los Angeles Times. TMZ reports Perry played a two-hour game of pickleball Saturday morning, and upon his return to his home, he sent his assistant on an errand. When the assistant returned two hours later, Perry was found unresponsive. TMZ states first responders were called for a cardiac arrest, and Perry was found deceased in his hot tub. Although the official cause of death has not been revealed yet, TMZ says there were no substances found at the scene and foul play was not involved. Many have expressed their sadness and the devastation they feel over the loss online. Fans have been leaving flowers outside the Friends apartment in NYC as tribute, as well as posting tributes online.

Perry will be dearly missed by friends, family, and fans.