What’s In and What’s Out: Fall Season

Valiphotos
A trail during fall

The fall season begins on September 22, but for many people fall begins when it’s just cold enough to wear a jacket or when the leaves begin to crunch. Fall has its common themes and staples like pumpkin spice lattes and knit sweaters but it’s the little things that change and how the idea of fall alters each coming season that makes a difference. Everyone seems to have a slightly separate take on what they associate fall with or what their ideal autumn looks like, so what are the ins and outs of fall 2023?

IN: Pumpkin spice lattes. There’s no better way to kick off fall than with a nice pumpkin spice latte; it has the perfect amount of fall flavor with hints of pumpkin and cinnamon. This relaxing drink is something you can cozy up with and enjoy. Student Carolyn Tran states, “I love pumpkin spice. It tastes like fall and I like the cinnamon in it.”

OUT: Hot apple cider. Hot apple cider is essentially a drink made of warm fruit which in itself does not sound appetizing. Hot cider had its time but now chai lattes are taking over. Fruit drinks are meant to be refreshing and cold just like the fruit itself, an ideal drink for summer and not fall.

IN: Leg warmers. A cute accessory to add to your closet is a pair of simple yet adorable leg warmers. They compliment fall outfits so well now that sweaters are making a comeback. Not only do they keep your legs warm, but they keep your outfit cozy and fall-appropriate.

OUT: Scarfs. If your neck is cold just wear a jacket! Scarfs are out. They can be itchy, too thick, or too thin. Scarfs give off the feeling that you can’t handle a bit of cold and they aren’t fit to liven up a fall look. Delaney comments, “Scarves are ugly unless it’s negative 5 degrees! only my grandpa wears them.”

IN: Leather jackets. Adding some style to a look can be achieved by leather jackets, a type of jacket that has been long forgotten until now. Leather jackets are authentic and make you look like you know how to put together a proper fall outfit.

OUT: Plaid is out! Unless you are wearing pajama pants, plaid appears like an unfortunate pattern has spilled on your clothes and fails to do fall justice. Next to plaid, bomber jackets are just as unworthy; this is something you should wear if you want to be stuck in the past.

IN: Candles. As soon as there is a slight change in weather, Fall fanatics immediately light candles! Whether the candle is scented pumpkin, cinnamon, nutmeg, or cedar wood, candles are IN this fall season, and every fall season to come.

OUT: Leaf garlands are typical for fall decorations, but this fall, leaf garlands are OUT! Instead, people are decorating with more pumpkins and less leaves. 

IN: Sweaters. As soon as the fall weather comes in, chunky knit sweaters come out. Chunky knit sweaters are IN this fall and have become a staple for many during this cold season. Whether the sweater is paired with jeans or cargos, many people will find any reason to break out their sweaters. Ligaya notes, “I love knit sweaters. I’m a really warm person and they keep me warm.”

OUT: Cardigans. Though chunky knit sweaters are in, knit cardigans are OUT. Taylor Swift has made this popular in the past years, but recently, cardigans in general have been an item that has been pushed to the back of many people’s closets.

IN: Uggs. Uggs have been a classic fall staple for years. In past years, people have been drawn to their tall boot styles, while recently many have gravitated towards the “Mini Uggs” and the Ugg slippers. Social media has heavily boosted this trend for this fall, and many can foresee this trend continuing into the latter parts of winter as well. Uggs have been a timeless staple for many. 

OUT: Rain boots. Although many have been purchasing more Ugg boots, many are also getting rid of knee-high rain boots. Any knee-high boots or socks have been dismissed and tossed away this fall. Knee-high rain boots are OUT. Walstin states, “I am not a fan; I think they are impractical.”

OUT: Continuing with things out of style, we have prints. One print that has been declared out this fall is cheetah print! This print comes and goes with trends, however, currently, cheetah print is chateaugay and too bold for the simplistic fall aesthetic. 

IN: Cargo pants. Many trend followers are tossing their skinny jeans and trading them in for cargo pants instead! Cargo pants have become an essential part of any fall outfit. Whether these cargo pants are green, beige, or blue jean colored, they are in this fall!

OUT: Bobbing for apples. Although many iconic fall movies include characters bobbing for apples, in this day and age, bobbing for apples is just something that is seen on TV. This fall, bobbing for apples is OUT and is predicted to stay out. Teenagers would rather spend their time participating in other fall activities, like carving pumpkins and going through corn mazes, instead of bobbing for apples. Bye bye bobbing for apples!

IN: Pumpkin. As the fall season rolls around, pumpkin season comes with it! This season, pumpkin is being added to EVERYTHING. Some classic pumpkin bakery items include pumpkin bread, pumpkin scones, and pumpkin cinnamon rolls. Basically, anyone can take a normal recipe and add pumpkin to it, and everyone will enjoy it! This is a bad season for anyone with a pumpkin allergy.

OUT: Flared sleeves. Fashion trends vary each year, one year something will be trendy, and the next year one might get ridiculed for wearing it. One fashion item that rolls in each fall season is flared sleeves. This season, flared sleeves are OUT! 

OUT: Chunky beanies. Despite the practicality, any chunky knit beanie, especially with a fur ball at the top, is OUT! More simplistic beanies are rolling in, or even, the use of no beanie is becoming typical. Bay Area natives don’t have to worry about how impractical this is, but anyone with a cold, snowy, climate might be cold this fall.

IN: Puffer vests are in! These jackets are plush, comfy, and warm; what more could you ask for? Puffer vests can bring together any outfit; they are clean and sleek-looking but practical at the same time. These vests are less clunky than full jackets which makes them easier to pack and wear. Autumn says, “I love puffer vests, they add a flair to your outfit.”

IN: Overalls are something that never gets old. They are the perfect balance between cute and comfy. Not only can you style them in so many different ways but they give off the strongest fall vibes when worn properly.

OUT: Knee-high socks. With modern fashion everywhere there’s no room for things like knee-high socks. The trending fall outfits have no use for them and they generally look tacky.

OUT: Knit gloves and mittens are impractical, can be itchy, and overall don’t compliment outfits very well. Ligaya says, “I hate gloves. They get in the way of me using my phone.”

IN: Charcuterie boards. A cute and delicious fall appetizer is a charcuterie board. A board filled to its edges with cheese, meats, crackers, nuts, and small fruits, such as grapes and figs. Who doesn’t enjoy a beautiful and colorful appetizer with simple foods any picky eater could eat?

OUT: Scarecrows. A decoration that no longer represents fall as much as it used is a scarecrow. You would think they could keep the crows away but they aren’t even good for that. Scarecrows are not cute no matter how many different overalls you put them in.

OUT: Corn mazes. A great way to feel lost and scared is a corn maze. They used to be all the rage but now people simply want to pick pumpkins in peace without having to think about figuring their way out of the most intricate mazes.