The Student News Site of Granada High School

The Pomegranate

The Pomegranate

The Pomegranate

Grabbing Life by the Horns

Athlete of the Week: Peyton Richards

Adam J Clark

This week, Granada’s varsity football Slot receiver, Junior Peyton Richards, has earned the title of Athlete of the Week. Richards has made 10 touchdowns this season and has played on varsity since his freshman year. Richards continues to impress students due to his speed and talent at the sport.

Peyton has faced a multitude of challenges during his past and current football seasons saying one of them is, “…the older kids we go against.” But he has learned to persevere through all the struggles due to, “Just playing 110% at all times.” With both these factors accounted for, Richards has gained success in his sport.

Most athletes have a famous and personal role model when it comes to their sport. Richards describes his role model and says it would, “Probably be my uncle Tommy, all the stuff I need to learn about football.” His uncle has made an impact on the way he plays and acts on the field therefore giving him lots of needed motivation. A role model he looks up to on the NFL field would be, “Christian McCaffrey because he’s so versatile.” Having role models to look up to can improve the effort athletes put into their sport and can help them become the best version of themselves.

Every football player has their strengths and weaknesses. Peyton thinks of his strengths as genetics saying, “I got blessed with my size and athleticism.” Knowing what makes you a good athlete and what you need to work on helps you succeed in the future. Everyone has weaknesses, even great athletes. Peyton says, “My weakness would probably be my route running, gotta practice that.” There is always room for improvement and every great athlete knows this.

Some people play football just for fun but Richards says he loves, “…the atmosphere at games on Friday nights. It’s something I’ve never experienced in other sports.” Being part of a team is a good feeling knowing that you have people to work together with. “It’s a team game you can’t just win by yourself,” says Peyton.

Peyton has accomplished many things over his years as a football player a couple of them being, “My 3 touchdown game against Castro Valley this year.” and, “Probably my kicker turn against Livermore last year.” Richards is a great athlete who is dedicated to his team and sport. A goal he has for his team is to, “Just to go far in playoffs this year.” 

Peyton Richards is clearly an exceptional athlete with a skill for football. With the support of the school and the students within it, he is able to have an enjoyable time playing games with his team. Support, time, and effort build great athletes such as Peyton Richards.