Spotlight: Granada Choir

Angus Otte, Reporter

Many factors of music are very important to making and creating a song or piece. You could have instruments like violins, drums, or saxophones, but one of the most important instruments is one’s voice. The ability to form and create songs with different levels of voice is exactly what the Granada choir does. The Granada choir, led by George Pascoe, is a sensational symphony full of the lows and highs of one’s voice.

Among the different levels of pitch, there is bass, baritone, tenor, alto, and soprano. Bass produces very low notes that act like drums, keeping time while also producing sounds to go along in the music with. Baritones begin to pick up low harmonies that the Tenor produces due to their notes being the middle of the ranges. Altos are the most high pitched of the harmonies but can also be counter melody if needed. Finally, Sopranos or Leads produce the melody of songs and play the high parts of a song, giving an uplifting feel.

Max Chew, senior Tenor, explains that,”Being the only Tenor is very crucial to me because it allows me to project my voice more than most people would because they have a problem with sticking out, while I enjoy being loud. My job as Tenor is very important as without me, the bass section falls apart and the alto’s support than falters, and the role of the Tenor is to be the glue that keeps the bridge from Bass to Alto together. I feel that people mistake Choir for a really judgemental class when in reality it’s super fun class and environment where you aren’t judged at all, and we are really looking forward to anyone who is willing to make a commitment, especially lower voices.”

Throughout the choir, there are people who guide others with their singing and leads people of the same vocal range, and insert their group into the choir with perfection. Last year, they sang songs that are in modern day media: “Like Golden” by Harry Styles, and some songs from throughout the world like “Get Up,” and this year they’re striving for the same.

Diya Mitragotri, a returning Soprano vocalist, describes her role as fun and important because,” I like that I can sing high and that it’s very easy to train my voice up rather than down, and I think that the Soprano’s melodies add a ton of flavor to any song and our capability to contrast each other while still being in tune is one of strongest abilities. I think that people might be scared to try Soprano but overall it’s a very welcoming community that you can call family and you’ll get so much support no matter how your voice is.”

Many people in the choir agree that choir has been a huge impact on their daily school life, and life going forward.

“I Love being able to sing the middle pitch because of the different opportunities like soloing, harmonies, or just supporting the entire choir,” said Samaira Grover, a freshman Alto, who believes that,”everyone, regardless of vocal prowess can join and we’re very welcoming and if don’t really know how to sing or match pitch, we’ll show you the ropes and learn alongside with you.”

There’s no voice quite as charming as the Granada choir’s collective rhapsody.