The Student News Site of Granada High School

The Pomegranate

The Pomegranate

The Pomegranate

Grabbing Life by the Horns

Granada JV Football Runs Through Monte Vista

On Friday, August 25,2023 we saw an excellent start to the Granada football season against our first opponent Monte Vista. The JV team sure put them in their place with GHS running back Jaiden Machato scoring three touchdowns, including an 80-yard run.

Machato said this after the game, “I put it all out there and it paid off.”

The final score of the game was 42-0. Last year we had an undefeated JV team and by the looks, the team is just as determined to keep the title.

Head Coach Smith had this to say about Machato’s performance during the game, “I think he played really well and is on the cusp of being a really solid student-athlete, Keep up the effort and keep doing what you do.”

The Game was a warm-up for our JV team’s season, and they are ready to play the upcoming heritage game this Friday, September 1.

The whole team did a great job stopping the ball and causing chaos for the Monta Vista team. The defense was locked down the whole game and had the other team kicking on 3rd.

Coach Smith said, “ The team did really well, and I was very impressed. They rose to the occasion and played with class.”

One of the defenders Drew Wilkerson made big plays on his side including multiple fumbles and tackles. Monte Vista tried to flip the play side but our offensive line was too quick and caught the quarterback forcing them to punt. By halftime Granada was up 28-0 to Monte Vista still trying to tackle the lethal 30-yard runs. The game flew by and the score was just going up for Granada until Monte Vista made one deep play that was shut down by GHS strong safety Ethan Murray. As the game came to a close, the score was a whopping 42-0, and the JV team was hyped about the first game win. 

The upcoming Away game is this Friday against Heritage and this Thursday the freshman play Castro Valley.