Hockey Player Adam Johnson Dead During Game against Sheffield Steelers

All sports have their ups and downs. Their dos and don’ts. And while all sports have some level of danger, hockey is incredibly high. With razor-sharp skates, pucks zooming at high velocity, and sticks flying everywhere, an injury is the best you can get. But poor Adam Johnson was less fortunate, taking a fall and a skate to the neck in his game on October 29. 

According to CNN, Adam Johnson, who had just joined the Elite Ice Hockey League team this August, was playing in the Panthers’ Challenge Cup match inside the Utilita Arena Sheffield when he “appeared to suffer a serious neck injury” after a collision with a player from the opposing team, the Sheffield Steelers.

Not letting this go unseen, the Panthers’ social media made sure to post their tribute to the fallen 29-year-old, honoring their player with condolences to his loved ones. This tribute read, “Everyone at the club including players, staff, management, and ownership are heartbroken at the news of Adam’s passing… Our thoughts are also with the fans and staff of both clubs, especially those who attended or were following the game, who will be devastated following today’s news. The Panthers would like to thank everyone who rushed to support Adam last night in the most testing of circumstances.” The post then continued with “Adam, our number 47, was not only an outstanding ice hockey player, but also a great teammate and an incredible person with his whole life ahead of him… The Club will dearly miss him and will never ever forget him.”

It’s also important to note that the EIHL left a similar statement and canceled all further games to give more time to mourn the passing. This statement is obviously heartfelt, as when you play for a team and get to know them, you start to feel more like family to each other, which makes the blow hit harder. 

When asked how he felt about the passing, sophomore Justin Zipton said, “I talked about it with my friend who plays hockey and we both agreed the death was so sudden, and seeing his age only makes it worse.” Justin also added, “People will always remember him, but hopefully they don’t remember this horrible feeling that comes with the passing.”

No one will ever forget you, Adam Johnson. May you be remembered for years to come. Thanks to the EIHL and the Panthers for their heartfelt statements and all the fans who care.