The Student News Site of Granada High School

The Pomegranate

The Pomegranate

The Pomegranate

Grabbing Life by the Horns

Track and Field Are Now Making Cuts!

Why has track and field ended their no cut policy?
Adam_J_Clark
Granada High School Track Meet for long distance runners

Recently at Granada High School, Track and Field, one of the most popular sports here, has become subject to cuts. The reason for this is that last season, when there was a no-cut policy, there was a surplus of students who joined the team simply for the benefit of receiving a sports exemption from PE. These students did not attend practice or put in the expected effort and commitment.

About 250 kids were participating in track and field last year, most of whom exploited last year’s no-cut policy and crowded up the stadium space. This year the coaches have determined that there will only be a maximum of 160 kids participating this season for maximum efficiency, success, and safety reasons as well.

Track and field consists of the following events:

• Distance sprints
  • Sprints
  • Shot-Put
  • Long jump
  • Hurdles 
  • Javelin
  • Discus
  • Pole vault

The track and field tryouts span the length of two weeks and begin at 3:45 pm and end at 5 pm. Tryouts are held in Granada’s stadium and each event occupies its designated part of the track and or field. Coach Mattern, the head coach of long-distance sprints and a teacher here at Granada, says he will simply cut those who do not show up consistently to tryouts. This season, attendance is one of the most important qualifications and the main reason cuts have been enacted. Too many kids did not show up and practice last year and barely anyone made the effort to improve their skills and abilities. Coach Mattern states, “Skills matter but mainly we are looking for kids with good attendance and coachability who are devoted to the sport.”

It seems that no one can stress more the importance of committing to the team, he continues to say, “If you have a job and cannot make it to practice or you have extracurriculars it looks like you don’t have time for track.” Coach Mattern puts it bluntly but it seems that his attitude is derived from the concern of Track and Field’s success. Students who were unwilling to put in the work and commit last season seemed to have a large negative impact on track and field’s achievements and it looks like the coaches will not make that mistake again.

As the week draws on several students are still transitioning into the different events as they realize certain ones are not a good fit for their abilities, now the number of those trying out dwindles and soon only the most dedicated remain. Even through the harsh weather Track and Field tryouts endure through rain and wind and follow through their daily schedules. As more and more leave tryouts Coach Mattern takes them off the roster and will continue to do so until a final cut is made. Sprints, shot put, and discus are only taking 16 girls and 16 boys. Jumps are only taking 8 girls and 8 boys. The pressure is on as students realize they’ll have to put forth their best effort and compete against other athletes.

Bethany Lai, a sophomore at Granada High School, was a star athlete on the Granada sprints team last season; this year she planned to try out for Granada’s girls’ lacrosse team but has now decided to transfer to track sprints tryouts instead. She states, “I couldn’t see myself playing lacrosse and I love to run so I decided to try out for sprints.” Even with the new cut policy, she seems optimistic and confident in her love for the sport.

In contrast to Bethany’s attitude, other students are beginning to worry about their skills as the number of those trying out dwindles to the most devoted and confident. However, Isabella Kowal, a returning track athlete states, “The coaches are looking more for students who are willing to learn because it won’t matter if you’re really good if you can’t be coached.”

Although many athletes are worried about the competition many may find some comfort in knowing that no matter how good someone is or how much talent they possess it would all go to waste if they are unwilling to improve and listen to the advice given to them by peers and coaches alike.