The Student News Site of Granada High School

The Pomegranate

The Pomegranate

The Pomegranate

Grabbing Life by the Horns

What Would a 4-Day School Week Look Like?

In the United States, 4-day school weeks have been gaining traction over the past decade. In California however, school districts are required by California’s Education Code to have a 5-day school week, with a penalty of reduced funding for anything less. Several school districts have been permitted to change to 4-day school weeks without losing funding, but the districts still have to meet the required minutes a student is in school. Of the several school districts permitted to use 4-day school weeks, only 2 school districts actually use a 4-day week school district in California. These districts are Big Sur Unified School District and Legget Valley Unified School District. They are very small school districts with below 150 students in each district.

Pros of a 4-Day School Week:

Longer weekend: The 4-day school week, whether Monday or Friday is removed, removes a day from the school week and adds a day to the weekend. This gives a full day for students to participate in other activities additionally, this may make students feel more motivated during the school week.

As freshman Bruck Tekle puts it, “The weekend feels like an award after the school week.”

More time for teachers: With one more day on the weekend and one less day during the week, teachers will have more time to prepare. That’s a full day to prepare class lessons, grade assignments, or just relax. This could attract teachers to school districts dealing with a teacher shortage.

Saving money for school: One less school day means one less day where a school is serving food, using water, and using electricity. This would save money for schools that can be spent elsewhere. 

Cons of a 4-Day School Week:

Less Spaced-Out Days: With 5 days’ worth of a week squished into 4 days, students may be overwhelmed with all that they learn in a day. Despite the longer school day, students may find that all the information they are given within one day may overload or confuse them.

As student Ayden Hansen fears, “We won’t be able to learn as much.”

Longer School Days: With one less day per week, schools have to make up lost time by extending school days. This extension means longer classes, which, based on many people’s reactions to the schedule change, would not be popular.

Challenges For Families: The extra day off could mean students who rely on school food may be unable to find a meal during the extra day off which would otherwise be obtained at school. While not applicable to high school students, parents of younger children may be unable to find an alternative to leaving their kid home alone on the extra day off.

View Comments (1)