Remembering Matthew Perry

When I die, I don’t want Friends to be the first thing that’s mentioned…I want [helping people] to be the first thing that’s mentioned, and I’m gonna live the rest of my life proving that,” said Matthew Perry to Good Morning America.

On October 28, 2023, Matthew Perry sadly passed away due to a heart attack. Perry was only 50 years old. Unfortunately, doctors believed that his long history of drug use during the very popular TV show Friends contributed to the heart attack. Fortunately, his toxicology report showed that his death was not drug-related (New York Times).

Granada High student Izzy De’Campo comments, “I grew up watching Friends, and honestly, that is what I will remember him for even though I know that isn’t what he wanted.” Even though Perry will be remembered for his loveable character Chandler, he can rest easily knowing that his character helped bring light into tons of people’s lives.

Sophia Simmonds, another student, says, “I was absolutely crushed when I found out…My sister had sent me an article about ten minutes after he passed…I loved watching him when I was younger and I still rewatch friends all the time.” Simmonds continues, “I found so much comfort in his character [Chandler] and I know that he doesn’t want to be remembered for Friends, but he really helped bring me comfort and shape my humor and personality…I just ordered his book so that I can learn more about the actor behind my favorite character.”

Perry’s book, “Friends, Lovers, and The Big Terrible Thing: A Memoir,” recounts the hardships that he faced during his years with Friends. He talks about his addiction and the effect that it has on the people around him. Perry had hoped to be better remembered by his book, and his candor and openness about his addiction. His emotional autobiography definitely has an impact on all those who have read it.

“I actually didn’t know that he had written a book, I didn’t even know that he had struggled with addiction honestly, but after hearing about this I want to buy his book and learn more about his life…I loved Friends and knowing he didn’t want to be remembered for the show makes me sad,” says GHS student Addy Chung. 

Perry’s impact on the American audience’s lives is undeniable; whether it’s for his show or his book, he is remembered for bringing light into people’s lives. “Matthew Perry’s story helped me a lot, I grew up with parents who struggled through addiction and I had a rough childhood…I loved watching friends and knowing that he still kept up that character when he was hurting makes me deeply upset,” says one Granada student. “His book helped me in the same way his show could have, even through the character’s struggle with his parent’s divorce, his book and his character made me feel heard and I will remember him for that.”

Matthew Perry will be remembered well, and we hope that he rests peacefully knowing that he has helped people work through their own issues. Whether Perry is remembered for his character on Friends, or for his book, he will always be remembered for how much comfort and joy he brought into people’s lives.