National Crocs Day!

National Crocs Day!

National Crocs Day is an annual event on October 23 that was started in 2017. Crocs are making a big comeback everywhere around the world. Some folks love them and some don’t. However, most of the population wears Crocs almost everywhere and it has become a big trend on school campuses.

Crocs made its debut in the world in 2002. In its founding year, Crocs introduced an innovative shoe made of a revolutionary material called Croslite. Croslite technology held unique characteristics that allowed it to perform on both land and in water, characteristics new to the footwear industry. In 2005, a woman named Sheri Schmelzer devised a way to customize her children’s shoes. The result was Jibbitz/charms and that’s why now you’re able to personalize your shoe. The company was given the name Crocs after the multi-environment, amphibious nature of crocodiles since the shoe first was meant for water activities. Initially, the shoe is customizable, vibrant, and most of all, comfortable.

The shoe was invented in the year 2002. After co-founders Scott Seamans, Lyndon Hanson, and George Boedbecker Jr. went sailing in Mexico, Seamens showed his two friends a boating clog he’d been working on with a Canadian company called Foam Creations, Inc. of Quebec City. It became the foundation of the Crocs shoe known today. Crocs began with the invention of the original sandal design by Andrew Reddyhoff. Reddyhoff made a comfortable, slip-resistant foam boat shoe that could also float, making it suitable for various water activities and foot protection.

Though skeptical of the design, Scott Seamans, Lyndon “Duke” Hanson, and George Boedecker Jr created this item to produce and distribute, as they recognized its potential and utility for consumers. Seamans, Hanson, and Boedecker were drawn to the sandal’s comfort, practicality, and unique features. Furthermore, in 2002 Crocs unveiled their first model, the Beach, at the Fort Lauderdale Boat Show in Florida, and all 200 pairs produced quickly sold out, demonstrating the instant popularity of the footwear and how it has become extremely liked by people throughout the years. Even though Crocs is a well-known brand that has been in existence for 21 years there isn’t an exact number of people who wear Crocs around the nation. However, there have been approximately 100 million pairs of Crocs quickly sold worldwide. To date, this footwear can be found across the globe.

Crocs are a one-of-a-kind shoe that allows you to decorate it however you want from picking your charms/chains that can be clipped to the 13 holes to the color you would like. The company is constantly coming out with new styles for their customers and there are more than 120 styles. There are many shoe options to pick from. For example, the Classic Clog, Mega Crush Clog, and much more to choose from. Crocs are available in more than 30 colors. People buy a variety of different charms so their shoes don’t look plain and boring. Even famous celebrities wear these shoes like Ariana Grande, Justin Bieber, and much more.

People love Crocs because of their great qualities, but they also have negative traits that make them unappealing to some. For instance, they are soft, lightweight, comfortable, and easy to slip in and out of. They are also “breathable” and the holes serve as ventilation and let out excess moisture to keep the shoes fresh and cool, promote circulation, and have enough room to avoid compression of the toes. Also, people like it because of the fun charms they can add to the shoe. A freshman here in competitive water polo, Bijoux Whitney, says that she likes Crocs because as a water polo player, it’s “nice to not have to carry around two big pairs of shoes on game days.” She also claims they are “super low maintenance, cute, easy to personalize, and really comfortable.”

Olivia Shaffer, a freshman also here at GHS, states that she loves Crocs because “they are super comfy, easy to put on, and useful for any situation.”

Unfortunately, the bad part of wearing Crocs is that they are not ideal for everyday wear or long periods of time. Whether they are fur-lined, sandals, or classic Crocs, they do not correspond with any outfit. Vanessa Lascon, says she doesn’t like Crocs because “they are ugly and ruin every outfit. Especially when they’re crusty and have not been cleaned. Ughh. The shape of the shoe is funny looking and I personally think that slides are much better.”

Many say they aren’t formal and look awkward paired with any style of jeans or dress. For being such a cheaply made shoe, one would think that Crocs would be reasonably priced. Wrong; Crocs are terribly overpriced. People are paying over $34 for two pieces of plastic, and even more for ‘special’ versions of the shoe. Grace Espinoza states she doesn’t like Crocs either because they are “overrated and don’t seem very appealing to me. Personally, I think they don’t look good on anything.” Clearly, there are numerous opinions on the style, functionality, and appearance.

Ultimately, Crocs is now a National Day in the month of October. They are a really popular shoe that most people like to wear practically everywhere. People prefer this easy slip-on shoe because it can be personalized and is a great way to express your interests and sense of style. They aren’t like any other shoe that is just a boring and simple color. Though some people claim that the shoe is ugly, it’s still a really comfortable shoe to wear on an easy chill day that numerous people across the world love and buy.