The Student News Site of Granada High School

The Pomegranate

The Pomegranate

The Pomegranate

Grabbing Life by the Horns

How Old is Too Old?

The trick or treating debate
Theresa Thompson

With Halloween approaching, many high school and even middle school students are debating whether or not to trick or treat. Most adults start to get uncomfortable handing out candy to teens and pre-teens, but what is the alternative to trick or treating? Halloween has turned into parties for teenagers, this problem is so severe that most schools are now offering the day after Halloween off of school. For younger kids, it seems to just allow one more day to recover from a sugar rush, but for high schoolers, it’s necessary for healthy students. 

Lots of kids would rather attend a party than go trick or treating, but many high school students like junior Addy Chung say, “I honestly would rather go trick or treating than go to a party…It’s nice to get free candy obviously, and I feel a lot safer.” If teenagers aren’t denied at the door, then parents are reluctant to let their children trick or treat past the age of about 13.

“I take my younger sibling out trick or treating and I always dress up and get candy…I am always respectful and kind, but I can tell most parents aren’t happy to see me when they open the door,” says GHS senior Sophie McGinnis. “I haven’t been trick or treating since my sophomore year, but I honestly would rather walk in my neighborhood than be out at a party, I feel much safer,” says our same senior.

So when is the right time to stop trick or treating? “It should be acceptable to trick or treat until you are about 15 or 16,” says GHS sophomore Scarlett Massangale. However, lots of students think they should be able to go until they are 18, a legal adult. “If I can’t vote, I feel like I should be able to walk around and get free candy,” says senior Scarlett LaPointe. There are certain privileges that we no longer get once we turn 18, and in return, we get more important responsibilities, such as voting. 4 ⁄ 5 students agree that it should be acceptable for a high school student to trick or treat until their junior or senior year.

On the other hand, parents say, “I wouldn’t let my kids out for Halloween after about 14,” says Erica Simonds, a GHS senior’s mom. “But when I think about it I would rather them go out trick or treating than to a party… I worry much less knowing that my daughter is out in our neighborhood than at someone’s house partying,” says our same mom. But do parents handing out candy understand what the alternative to trick or treating is for teens? Unless the parents have a teenager, it is unlikely for them to be comfortable with a teenager asking for candy at their door. “I will admit I am much more reluctant to hand out candy to older kids, even though I would rather send out my own teenager to trick or treat,” says our Granada Senior’s mom Brenda LaPointe.

According to parents, after Freshman or Sophomore year it’s time to stop trick or treating. But, then parents must come to terms with the other activities that their teenagers will participate in on Halloween night. Either way, “Everyone should be careful, whether you are out trick or treating or out at a party,” says Granada teacher, Rich Cortez. It seems to be acceptable to trick or treat in high school but be prepared for some funny looks from parents. Stay safe, and stay spooky!