The Student News Site of Granada High School

The Pomegranate

The Pomegranate

The Pomegranate

Grabbing Life by the Horns

California Becomes First State to Ban Potentially Harmful Food Additives

Getty Images/iStockphoto

California has become the first state in the U.S. to ban four commonly used ingredients in foods and beverages. These ingredients have been linked to diseases such as cancer, and while California has become the first to ban them in the U.S., they are already banned in many other countries throughout the world.

The banned ingredients include brominated vegetable oil, potassium bromate, propylparaben, and red dye 3. Said ingredients can be found in juices, cookies, and candies such as Skittles. However, this new law does not mean that all items containing these ingredients will suddenly vanish off the shelves, but that the companies manufacturing them will have to change their recipes to accommodate for this. The law will not take effect until 2027.

In 1990, the FDA banned the use of red dye 3 in cosmetics, after evidence showed that it was causing cancer in lab animals. Propylparaben has been shown to negatively impact reproductive health. Potassium bromate and brominated vegetable oil have been shown to have negative impacts on the nervous system. Gavin Newsom, after signing the bill, said, “Californians will still be able to access and enjoy their favorite food products, with greater confidence in the safety of such products.”