Granada High’s Carnival, Night Rally, and First Ever Drone Show!

Granada High School Introduces Drones!
Yoselin Delgado
Homecoming 2023 celebrated with drones!

On Thursday, October 6th, 2023, Granada High School hosted its annual carnival, where various clubs come together in order to sell items as a fundraiser for the school. Families came to enjoy the food provided by several food trucks, such as Bay Area Munchies.

Once 7:30 pm hit, classes participating in homecoming skits began to get ready to perform their dances in the middle of the quad, families and children of all ages surrounded the quad eager to catch a glimpse of what the students had spent so many weeks working hard to perfect. So many people had come to watch that there was hardly any room to stand!

To say that “the crowd went wild” would be a huge understatement. The audience roared with applause, cheering on the dancers and showering them with utmost support. Each group performed their dances just as they had during their respective rally throughout the week and delivered them with twice as much confidence and energy as they had before.

Once the carnival had come to its end, everyone began to make their way to the bleachers at the football field for Granada High’s first-ever Night Rally. The air was buzzing with excitement, with students running to get a good seat before they would all be inevitably taken and families huddling along the fence to see. 

The Night Rally was a hit. Cheerleaders and members of the hip-hop club performed energetically, getting everyone’s attention as they flaunted their talent and skill. Of course, let us not forget about the one and only Batman, who led the school into the singing of “Happy Birthday” for our principal: Mr. Conover.

However, nothing would ever come close to surpassing the highlight of this grandiose event: Granada’s first-ever drone show. At precisely, 9:30 pm, the lights began to dim, and friends, family, alumni, faculty, and others raced onto the football field to bear witness to this once-in-a-lifetime event. Crowds watched as 200 drones took off from the ground, illuminating the night sky with their luminescent lights and colors.

Matador created with drones. (Yoselin Delgado)

The audience broke out into a series of oohs and aahs once the drones began to disperse in the sky and take shape, showing images in relation to Granada’s school pride, such as The Matador, a bull, and the class of 2023 in general.  This was then followed by images broadcasting this year’s homecoming themes, starting with “Into the City” and ending with “Into the Stars”, each image corresponding to the theme.

“I didn’t think Granda was capable of doing something like this,” says Daniela Cristobal, a sophomore. “It just comes to show how much our school is growing into something bigger and better every year, this drone show was just the cherry on top of an already exciting day. I’m looking at pictures right now, and I can say with absolute certainty that watching them in person is much better than whatever the picture could actually capture. I wonder what else Granada could do in the future, it’s going to be hard to top this! Oh! And that homecoming proposal?”

That’s right folks. Nearing the end of the drone show, everyone was caught off guard as the drones formed the shape of 2 words: “Kyla Homecoming?” This was followed by a series of gasps and looks of astonishment, read more about it here: “Loco for Hoco?

The yearly Carnival is always a great chance to converse with clubs and is a great event for families to attend; seeing all the work and dedication the students went through in order to make their homecoming skits to be as great as possible. The Night Rally, although out of the norm for Granada standards and new, was a success, and students are already anticipating the next one! The Drone Show made this a “must be at” event, and I don’t think it would be an exaggeration to say that this was our best event yet!