University of Hawaii granting scholarships to Lahainaluna seniors

How could you help support Maui?
University of Hawaii at Manoa

The Maui fires have been raging since Tuesday, August 8, devastating homes and disrupting lives. Lahaina in particular was affected by these terrible fires. The disaster has been broadcast for months and has drawn so much attention that Granada even started their own fundraising campaign, Mats Heart Maui. Regardless of fundraising efforts, many students lost their senior-year education. University of Hawaii president David Lassner announced on Tuesday that the college will be offering scholarships to all Lahainaluna high school seniors, including the cost of tuition and supplies for those accepted. 

“We are extending scholarship offers to create at least one bright spot for these students and their families, [helping] them to see a path for a better future,” says Lassner.

Not only are students receiving scholarships to one campus but they have the opportunity to attend any of UH’s 10 campuses.

The Maui fires have claimed 98 (NY Times) innocent lives leaving many more injured. Granada High School took action through Mats Heart Maui, ran my Humans of Granada, and raised money to donate to Maui high schools. 

“I’m not sure I made a huge difference but I’m glad that I donated at least a little bit in order to help other students…I can’t imagine if a disaster like this had hit Granada” said GHS senior Annabel Nicholson.

“I hope that other people took the fundraiser seriously because I really do think even a little bit can make a difference. In the end, all the fundraising efforts will add up,” Nicholson commented.

It has now been almost a full two months since the fires started, although the fire has been contained the residents will be dealing with the remaining trauma for months to come. FEMA has issued 700 dollars per person approximately $5.6 million in total to Maui fire victims and that number is expected to grow (USA Today). 

“It’s really scary to think of myself in their shoes, I hope more people decided to donate…it didn’t sound like the fundraiser had a lot of support at first,” says Nicholson.

Even just the smallest amount helps. Although Granada’s fundraiser has ended, there’s still many more ways to help, show your support.

External fundraisers:

https://www.localmotionhawaii.com/collections/maui-strong-fundraiser

https://www.hawaiicommunityfoundation.org/maui-strong