7 Species Going Extinct in 2023

7 Species Going Extinct in 2023

Hundreds of thousands of animals around the world are threatened by human actions and climate change and are in need of protection and conservation efforts. With every passing year, our planet’s biodiversity is declining. There are many animal species out there that are dangerously close to extinction. One area in which we all need to improve is how well we take care of our planet and not just for animals.

The need for solving this issue grows more and more urgent every year as the Earth’s biodiversity continues to decrease. Even while this problem has been on the radar for years, it is not being attended to with the urgency it requires. Perhaps this is the year we finally show Mother Nature the respect and affection she deserves. However, one of the biggest issues is that these animals are not as popular as other species, and it can be challenging to understand the threat to their existence. From habitat loss to excessive poaching, numerous factors (all caused by mankind) have caused animals to become increasingly endangered. These are the top 7 threatened animals that will most likely not survive 2023. Their absence could affect the world for many reasons such as crop pollination and water purification, but also spiritual and cultural ones.

The current extinction crisis is entirely of our own making. More than a century of habitat destruction, pollution, the spread of invasive species, overharvest from the wild, climate change, population growth, and other human activities have pushed nature to the brink. The Bengal tiger, the Indochinese tiger, the Sumatran tiger, the Siberian tiger, and the Malayan tiger; are all tigers that have entered the endangered animals list. However, the Malayan and Sumatran species have gone beyond this and are now critically endangered. As little as 3,500 tigers remain in the wild, and with the continued threat to their habitat, tigers are animals that might not survive this year.

Orangutans are nearing also extinction. The two most affected subspecies are the Bornean and Sumatran species. Species of orangutans have had their numbers reduced to just over 100,000 for the Bornean and a little over 7,000 for the Sumatran species. Forest degradation is the leading cause of the decline in the orangutan population, primarily due to the search for palm oil.

Next, Leatherback Turtles. These sea turtles are giant and have leather-like shells. In addition, these four-legged sea turtles are migratory creatures. Because of their migratory nature, leatherback sea turtles live around the Atlantic, Pacific, and Indian oceans. However, catch fishing and excess egg loss have led to a decline in the leatherback turtle population.

Then there are the Addax, which live in the Niger region. This family of grazers has been declared critically endangered by the IUCN because fewer than 100 of them are left. Human activities such as oil exploration and unauthorized hunting have contributed to the decline in addax numbers.

Then the Vaquitas, which are finned swimmers who make their homes in the northern Gulf of California. The primary reason for their decline is illegal fishing. Because of illegal fishing, these little cows, as scientists commonly call them, are caught in nets and die. What’s more, only 10 of these marine animals remain. Vaquitas are the smallest member of the cetacean family (which also includes the whale, dolphin, and porpoise.)

The Javan Rhinoceros population has also been reduced to a terrifyingly small number. There are only 67 of these creatures left. Also, these rhinos are secluded. As a result, the rhinos live in a park on the southwestern tip of the island of Java.

Lastly, the Mountain Gorilla. The mountain gorilla is a species of the large primates family found in African regions. Members of this family have been victims of constant poaching and habitat loss. In addition, mountain gorillas are susceptible to diseases which account for the drastic fall in their numbers. Because of these factors, only hundreds of mountain gorillas remain in the world.

Although extinctions happen naturally, animal extinctions are much higher than the natural or historical rates. However, there are two main reasons why these creatures are at risk: habitat loss and the loss of genetic variation. Grace Espinosa, a Granada freshman, states, “An animal I am concerned about are animals such as turtles. They’ve been slaughtered for their eggs, meat, skin, and shells. Sea turtles suffer from poaching and over-exploitation. They also face habitat destruction known as fishing gear.” She also says that, “if turtles go extinct this could affect our globe because Sea turtles are an important part of the planet’s food web and play a vital role in maintaining the health of the world’s oceans. They regulate a variety of other organisms simply through eating them. For example, green turtles mainly feed on seagrass.”

Ultimately, these are the top 7 at most risk species that might not survive in the year 2023 and we need to do something about it soon. The best way to protect endangered species is to protect the special places where they live. Wildlife must have places to find food, shelter, and raise their young. These poor creatures have already suffered a lot and don’t need to lose their lives for what mankind has done. Animals that eat the newly-extinct species have to find new food sources or starve. This can damage the populations of other plants or animals. Initially, if a predator goes extinct, its prey population can proliferate, unbalancing local ecosystems. Other plants and animals are food sources for humans, so without them, food scarcity increases. Without the necessary resources for survival, we’re compromising the survival of human life by contributing to greenhouse gas emissions and the loss of biodiversity worldwide.