Horrific Floods Hit Derna, Libya

Wikimedia Commons
Flash flood in Libya desert almost 15 years ago

Last week in Derna, Libya, two dams burst. A 23-foot wave of water flooded through the city. Entire neighborhoods were sent into the sea. At least 11,300 casualties have been confirmed, with numbers still rising. There are over 10,000 still missing. 

A report from CNN says experts believe many factors went into this disaster, including aging, crumbling infrastructure, inadequate warnings, and more. Derna is prone to floods, with its dams causing at least five flooding incidents since 1942, the last occurring in 2011. The two dams that burst this weekend were built around 50 years ago and haven’t undergone maintenance since 2002. This is currently being investigated by local officials.

The head of the United Nations’ World Meteorological Organization says better warnings could have avoided most of the casualties, CNN’s report stated.  

Search and rescue teams are desperately searching for survivors. The World Health Organization has sent enough aid for 250,000 people which includes essential medicine, trauma and emergency supplies, and medical equipment according to NBC News.

NBC News also says a devastating number of at least 891 buildings were destroyed. 

GlobalGiving has started a fundraiser for victims of this disaster. It has raised almost $200,000 so far. You can contribute to the fund here: www.globalgiving.org/projects/libya-flood-relief-fund/