Grandparents’ Day

Tobyotter
“Grandparents and Grandchild” by Tobyotter is licensed under CC BY 2.0. To view a copy of this license, visit https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/?ref=openverse.

Often people remember Mother’s Day and Father’s Day, but Grandparents’ Day is often overlooked. Grandparents commonly fill one’s head with sweet memories of their childhood or current traditions. So many people appreciate their grandpa and grandma but seem to overlook their dedicated day. Grandparents’ Day was introduced by Marian McQuade and was made official by President Jimmy Carter in 1978. This day is celebrated the first Sunday after Labor Day, which falls on the 10th. Though it is nice to always appreciate your grandparents, this day ensures one dedicates a day to celebrating their loved ones. This celebration may look different for many people, but in all cases, this day provides an extra reason to remember your grandparents and loved ones. 

You Call Them What? 

There are a vast amount of different nicknames people call their grandparents. These nicknames may be passed on by generations or may vary through the different generations, however, no matter the case, it is apparent there are countless different synonyms for grandpa or grandma. According to Fox24 KNWA, the most popular term for grandma is “nana.” No matter where you are from, you most likely have heard someone refer to their grandma by this. However, no matter how creative one may get in creating nicknames for their grandparents, there will also always be people who simply call them grandma and grandpa.

For example, Autumn Walston (℅ 2024, Granada student) keeps it simple and just calls her grandparents “grandma and grandpa.” Another common name would be Grammy and Papa, which Adriana Colandone calls her grandparents. Though these names are very similar to the classic grandma and grandpa, the slight differences hold sentimental value in each family. Additionally, some students’ culture inspires their grandparents’ nicknames. Madi Hom, (℅ 2024, Granada student) calls her, “…Grandma Lola even though she’s Chinese and Lola is a Filipino name for grandma.”

One nickname that is the 3rd most popular in the United States, according to Fox 24, is “Mamaw.” These nicknames clearly vary greatly from one another, however, each of them holds value in each family. Overall, there are various synonyms used for grandma and grandpa, however, each name holds a different sentimental value for each family. 

Thinking of You

Many families may live separately from each other, however, there are often things that make one think of their grandparents, no matter the distance that physically separates grandchildren from their grandparents. Grandparents’ Day is a day when you can not only celebrate your grandparents in general but also celebrate the things that remind you of them. These reminders may vary from different objects or even different sayings. Nonetheless, there are likely reminders of each person’s grandparents all around them. These reminders may hold sentimental value, for example, gifts that are passed down from generation to generation, or they might be things you see in everyday life.

Colandone is commonly reminded of her grammy whenever she sees a hummingbird. These birds may have zero value to others, however, in the eyes of Colandone, these birds remind her of wholesome moments spent with her grammy. These reminders may even come from things like fruit. Walston explained that she thinks of her grandparents every time she sees a watermelon as “they grow those [on their farm].” Though this may seem simple, watermelons fill Walston with the happy memories spent with her grandparents. Despite the distance that may be separating grandparents from their grandchildren, there always seem to be constant reminders of their presence. 

Reminiscing 

Whenever one sees a reminder of their grandparents, good memories often flood their head. These memories may be big trips or even a five-minute interaction. Traveling with grandparents always creates a core memory in the memories of kids. Hom shares her favorite memory with her grandparents being, “…when both [her] grandparents and family went to Hawaii together.” This is a clear example of a big trip holding value in one’s memories, however, not all favorite memories are this extravagant. These memories could be as simple as “…eating out of [her] grandparents’ garden” (Walston). Though this is such a small portion of her life, this small act holds a clear significance in her mind.

Similarly, daily tasks can offer a glimpse into core childhood memories. Colandone shares that her favorite memory she holds with her grandma was simply spending the day in the kitchen cooking. This quality time with her grandma instilled a love for cooking that she continues to have today. These memories often allow one to feel a sense of comfort while reflecting on the past. Even these interviews allowed students to reflect on the good times spent with their grandparents and family members and served as a reminder of the core memories created with their grandparents. With the chaos of everyday life, many people often forget to recognize their loved ones. This national holiday serves as a great reminder to appreciate not only your grandparents but the memories associated with them as well. Grandparents Day was established in order to recognize and reminisce on these memories and still serves the same purpose decades later. 

Grandparents’ Day is celebrated each Sunday following Labor Day and serves as a reminder to cherish not only your grandparents but all of your loved ones. Use this day to reflect on the things that are often dismissed. Happy Grandparents’ Day!