Forgot How To Study? Here Are Some Tips

Wikimedia Commons

Did you forget how to study? Here are some tips for you. Now that the new school year has started and we have all started back at school, some of us may have forgotten how to study for any quizzes or tests that will occur throughout the school year. Studying is crucial to being able to understand the material that may be on a test or quiz throughout the year. If you are confused about how to get started, or how to study at all, these tips will help you. 

Tip 1: Make sure you are organized. Organizing and keeping track of assignments, quizzes, and tests as well as other things you need to study for will help you stay on track to prepare for any tests. 

Tip 2: Don’t skip class. Skipping class is not a good thing to do. You will miss your teacher’s instructions and may end up being confused about upcoming tests and what to study for. What you should do is pay attention in class which helps a lot with studying. You will have an idea of what to study for and you will be prepared for any upcoming tests. 

Tip 3: Take notes. Taking notes on the topic you need to study for is important so you can use those notes to study. Trust me, notes help. Try and make your notes clear and concise, if they’re messy they will be confusing and hard to understand. Try to keep your notes in a safe place and try not to lose them.

Tip 4: Ask for help. I know some people may not like doing this or even want to, but if you are confused about what to study or what you need to study, ask your teacher. That’s what they are there for, to help if you have any questions. 

Tip: 5: Create a study plan and stick to it. Plan out where you want to study, what days you will study, and how long you will study. Try to plan this out carefully and make sure it doesn’t interfere with any after-school activities you may or may not have. Make sure to set timers or write down how long and what time you’ll be studying. 

Tip 6: Study in a neat and quiet environment. Loud noises can be very distracting and being in a quiet environment can be relaxing and help you study. A library, a coffee shop, your room, etc., anywhere that’s not messy and is quiet. Set up a quiet space if you need to, be creative.

Tip 7: Make sure you are not around anything that will distract you. And if you have something in your quiet study space that will distract you, remove it. Remove any distractions or unnecessary things. 

Tip 8: Don’t procrastinate. I know procrastination is kind of inevitable. We all do it. But, try your best not to procrastinate if you can. Find ways to make studying a little easier, listen to nature sounds, or play music while you are studying. Procrastination happens but try to keep yourself focused at all times. 

Tip 9: Take breaks when needed. YOU NEED BREAKS. Studying for endless hours on end can make you feel tired and burnt out. Taking breaks is necessary. Make sure you stand up and stretch, get water, a snack, or go outside for a bit. Set up times for breaks when you are studying. Don’t make the breaks too long because you need to get back to it but make sure you make your breaks long enough to relax your brain and your eyes. Stop studying for a while but make sure you get back to it.

Studying, while it may not seem fun, is good for you in the long run. It will help you get better grades and as well as a good grade on any upcoming tests. Studying is very helpful and it will make you more prepared. If your teacher gives you a study guide for any test make sure you use it or create your own! 

A few students wanted to share their insights on what they do to study. Sade Bumpus says, “What I do to study is I use Quizlet and I [go through the flashcards] and memorize all of them.” Another student, Riley O, says, “I take out Post-it notes, a notepad, and writing supplies, as well as my headphones. I listen to music and study unless I have to watch something to study because I get bored.”

Studying can be very stressful for some people, and a lot of people don’t want to do it because they think it’s boring or unhelpful when in reality studying is helpful. If you have a routine or a way to make studying less stressful and boring then studying can seem more fun or a relaxing thing to do. These tips can help to make studying less boring and more enjoyable. At the least, they can help you manage your studying time and feel less stressed about tests or any upcoming finals that may occur.