The Student News Site of Granada High School

The Pomegranate

The Pomegranate

The Pomegranate

Grabbing Life by the Horns

Opinion: What’s Up With the World

Highway 84

This week’s dispute with California is: Why is highway 84 still not finished? It has been 11 years (2012). They started trying to widen the ramp to the entrance but it has been a total trash show. Everytime I take the exit to go see family in Santa Rosa it just seems further and further away from completion. Another thing that makes me upset about the highway not being finished is the unlimited traffic that comes with it as well as the stupidity of people driving on that road. I don’t know why but when people get onto that road they just lose all sense of driving and drive like no one else is on the road.

Traffic from rebuilding the ramp doesn’t help any more with car crashes because there were 216,366 traffic-related accidents that occured in California 2022. Add the effect of road rage from people and bad driving, accidents are just bound to happen near the construction of the ramp.

When Granada spanish teacher Ms. Rodriguez was asked about Highway 84 and the crashes she said, ¨I think that most crashes don’t happen because of the traffic but more of human error with speeding and trying to cross lanes when they shouldn’t.¨

I agree with her on human error, but I think that human error is more likely to be caused in traffic because of anxious people or people on their phones. Most people nowadays are distracted on their phones and if they are going 55 mph and are looking at their phones for at least five seconds, they move the length of an entire football field while not looking at what’s in front of them. Another quote was from Jacob Parnell, a local Livermore resident/ stand up comedian from my youth group at Tri valley. ¨I think that traffic does cause some problems because it makes us think oh we have nothing to do so we look at our phones and in the next moment we rear end someone.¨ As you can see, livermore residents think that the traffic caused by highway 84 is bound to lead to more accidents.

To sum it all up, Highway 84 should have been finished years ago and since it hasn’t been finished it is bound to lead to more accidents. Supported with quotes from Ms Rodriguez and Jacob Parnell.My solution is to add more workers in the field to get the job done faster, and one way we can solve traffic problems is to have manual cars. My reasoning being it takes a lot of focus to drive a manual car and you wouldn’t have the time to look at your phone because you might stall in the middle of traffic. But now I realize that if we keep yelling at people it won’t get the job done faster.