Senior Skit 2023- An Inside Look

Mia Bartl, Reporter

Prior to this past week, the class of 2023 were the only class left at Granada who had seen a homecoming skit in person. Though that may seem insignificant, there truly is a difference between seeing a skit, especially one from the senior class, in person versus watching it on video. There is something about watching the story unfold in front of you, seeing the hard-work and dedication of each and every participant first hand. A really good senior skit will make you feel, even if you had no part in its production, like you’re part of something bigger than yourself. A really good senior skit will make Granada seem less like your high school and more like our high school. At least, that’s how I felt my freshman year, watching the class of 2020’s skit that last week of September. Four years later, my class, the class of 2023, was determined to set the right example, to reinstate that feeling of togetherness which had been lost in the absence of skits. 

Everyone felt the pressure was on. “Last year, best year” took on a new meaning as we struggled to pull ourselves together. This skit had to be good, it had to be an example. Being part of it myself, I can say with the utmost confidence that everyone involved really gave their all.

The script was finished before school even started, and actors were cast by the end of August.The main six characters were to be played by Louden Philbrick (Henderson), Lexi Neubaer (Olivia), Ian Quindipan (Marty McFly), Katie Langendorf (Maddie), James Ng (Jack), and Elle Bowman (Nina). I only joined the cast at Elle’s suggestion, though I’m endlessly glad I did. After casting, virtually every day of the week became filled with either table reads, run throughs, or dance practice.

Personally, I was the most heavily involved with the screenwriting and acting portion of the skit. While I wrote the lines, it was the other actors who really brought it to life, and I’m forever grateful to the entire cast for bringing my idea to life. What made the skit, in my opinion, were the little gags and jokes added that came up naturally and were added in along the way, whether it was Ian singing the theme to dirty dancing or Louden pulling out a huge blowup cell phone. Seriously, getting to know not just the main six, but all of the actors in skit has far and away been the highlight of my senior year, and I hope each of them can say the same. 

The added gags didn’t stop the script, though. During the end dance, the cheers from the dancers during the guitar riff from Footloose came about in the very first dance practice as a way to remember the move. It caught on, and ended up being at least my favorite part of the dance. 

The most important part of the skit, though, and my personal favorite, is the message of the “essay” the five main characters wrote. That’s what the senior skit is supposed to be about, giving thanks for the time we had at Granada and offering advice to those with more time ahead of them. It’s sentimental and maybe even a bit corny, but it’s necessary to emphasize the real reason for homecoming: to bring the student body together. 

Going into writing the script, I was really scared it would be a failure. I was scared the jokes wouldn’t land or the message wouldn’t hit home. I felt, as the writer, it would be my fault. However, in being part of skit, in experiencing shared nerves and excitement and comradery, my fear of failure faded. Whatever happened, however the student body and staff received our skit, at least we were all in it together. I can say with confidence that I am extremely proud of how our skit turned out, and forever grateful to each and every person who made it a reality, and I know everyone else feels the same. If that’s not a wild success, I don’t know what is.