How to Beat the Cold

Moss Ballin, Reporter

It’s no surprise that it’s getting colder, seeing as it always gets colder as we get closer to winter, though, the past few years have definitely been getting colder and colder. While it may leave some confused, the reason is actually very simple, there is a weak polar vortex.

When autumn begins, a polar vortex forms over the north pole. Formed by cold air and pressure, if this polar vortex is strong, it’s able to keep most of the cold air in. A weak polar vortex will release cold air out over Europe and North America.

Usually, the polar vortex is pretty strong, but recently it’s been weaker. That’s because we are in a sudden stratospheric warming event, which significantly disrupts the polar vortex, and weakens it.

As we get closer and closer to winter, the effects of the weak polar vortex are felt more and more. It’s getting colder, and everyone is starting to notice. The good news is that there are plenty of ways to stay warm.

The most common, and probably the easiest way to stay warm is layering. Wearing many of layers of warm clothing can keep you toasty throughout the day if you do it right. The three layer rule refers to having a layer for moisture, a layer for insulation, and a layer to protect you from the elements. However, in California there aren’t as many elements to protect yourself from, so you are pretty well protected with a hoodie or a nice jacket. 

Another easy way to stay warm is to eat some foods that take longer to digest. Food like nuts, beef, whole milk, and grains all take longer to digest than other foods, taking around 4 hours. The process of your body temperature raising through metabolizing food is called thermogenesis, and eating food that takes long to digest also keeps you warmer for longer. Though food isn’t the only thing that you can use to get warmer.

If you’re at home, a good way to raise your body temperature a little bit is to drink something hot. Tea or hot chocolate are popular hot drinks for colder weather, and can raise your body temperature a small amount. In addition to a warm beverage, something you can also do at home is get under some blankets. An especially helpful way to stay warm is a weighted blanket.

When asked their favorite way to stay warm, many Granada students have expressed their preferences when it comes to beating the cold. They expressed their love of hot drinks, blankets, and layers. It’s clear that these methods are pretty effective and well known, but there is one more that not enough people consider.

Physical activity is an effective and underrated way to stay warm during the cold fall and winter months, though not enough people even think about it. Whether it’s taking a walk, going for a job, or taking the time to go to the gym, there are plenty of ways to be physically active.

It’s easy to get discouraged this time of year, since it’s hard to find the motivation to work out when it’s cold, but that doesn’t mean you shouldn’t try. Not only is it good for you in general, but it can help you stay warmer

No matter how you choose to stay warm, always make sure to be safe and comfortable. There are plenty of things to enjoy this time of year, so don’t let the weather stop you.