Winter Dullness Among the Granada Community

Wyatt Krauss, Reporter, Photographer, Editor

Following the return of Granada students after winter break, it seems a school-wide dullness and discouragement has spread over the campus. Current feelings of communal hopelessness and low energy are rare for Granada, which is why we’ve made a point to publish what’s happening among our students and staff members. Read more to learn why the beginning of 2022 has started off quite slow for Granada High, and what we can do to bring our spirits back to the Matador height.

This school-wide ‘dullness’ is not only being discussed among our student body, but our teachers and administration as well. Principal Matthew Hart has acknowledged the feeling of gloominess on campus and has provided insight for his standpoint.

Just about every January and February returning to school carries the weight of intense absences and excessive student behavior issues, but this year something is different. “I think it’s a combination of things. The middle of Trimester 2 is long enough into the year for everyone to be tired but not close enough to the end for it to seem near. It’s also high time for cold and flu season, and this year we have the added burden of the COVID pandemic,” Mr. Hart explained. Principal Hart also believes that weather has much to do with the way we feel. “I also think that the general lack of sunlight has a real effect on students and staff,” he added.

“I don’t know if it’s a universal thing or just a Granada thing,” current junior Sydney Nichols explained. “Everyone is discussing how the school vibe has simply been ‘off’ lately. With the lack of conversation, Granada feels dull and much quieter.”

Of course the ongoing effects of the pandemic continue to affect almost every aspect of day-to-day life. Many students are worried of testing positive for the virus and infecting classmates, friends and family. “I think the main reason for these feelings are due to Covid. We all just need to protect ourselves,” Sydney added.

Of course we aren’t the only place in our community and beyond being negatively affected. For many, learning doesn’t feel like learning, it feels like ongoing dreadful tasks. “Education is supposed to be inspirational, I haven’t been excited about learning for so long, and I miss it,” Katie Aguiar, current junior, said. With so many students and teachers absent, the prideful and passionate Granada atmosphere that we all know and love has somewhat faded.

Many of our teachers are being pushed, too. “I haven’t had a prep period since we came back from winter break,” freshman English teacher Mrs. Fielding explained. Plenty of teachers are working long hours, on and off campus, in trying to provide real education to their students, and the total lack of consistency doesn’t help. “We all feel like we have a long way to go, and we need to keep in mind that we all have outside lives, too,” Mrs. Fielding explained. Many of us are dealing with covid in our homes, added stress, and we need to keep that in mind.

Although the past three weeks have felt like a continued cycle of repeated feelings, Mrs. Fielding believes that we are coming over the hump. “Although [we’re all] being stretched thin, this week has felt a little lighter.” Hopefully the trend of positivity and Matador pride begins to introduce itself back to Granada. At the end of the day, education is above all, and we, as a school, need to reestablish ourselves in a changing world. The cliche quote holds true: “real change begins with the youth.” We have the power to change our environment, and it’s our duty.